Release Date: 20100112
- In 2003, the Kew Cottages Coalition drew attention to the size of the State Government’s Waiting List for housing for the disabled. The Government responded by waiting until Christmas Eve to release official figures showing over 3000 disabled Victorians were still stuck on the Waiting List.
- In 2004, an Inquiry by the Public Accounts And Estimates Committee recommended the Department of Human Services examine resource constraints on the range of services needed in each region. DHS agreed and undertook to implement a new Information System in 2005/6 to improve the process of compiling statewide data of unmet needs of people with a disability. However, over three years later DHS says that it still does not collect statewide data on the Waiting List for Respite Care.
- In 2005, Dr. Cunningham Dax, Former Chairman of the Victorian Mental Health Authority, called for a judicial inquiry into the sale of of the Crown Lands surrounding the Government’s psychiatric Hospitals, and the Centres for the Intellectually Handicapped, in particular Kew Cottages. The Government responded by waiting until new legislation was being prepared and then changed the Waiting List criteria.
- In 2008, an all party Parliamentary Inquiry into Public Land Development identified a window of opportunity for the Government to use a small cluster of purpose built facilities at Kew Cottages for “much need disability and respite care”. However, the Government simply ignored the Inquiry’s recommendation, and then proceeded to demolish the Kew Cottages facilities identified by the Inquiry, including 60 respite beds, a medical centre, and a community swimming pool.
How you can help the Kew Cottages Coalition…
1. Make a small donation online here
2. Buy Kew Cards and T-shirts here .
3. Forward this email to a friend.
Thank you for your support !
More information: www.kew.org.au
For details on KCC Media Releases please contact:
Kew Cottages Coalition
PO Box 2317
Reg # A0044698H
M: 0414 979 300
If you do not wish to receive further email information from KCC please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words ‘CANCEL EMAIL’ in the subject line.
If you have friends who do wish to receive KCC information please ask them to email